Pitch shifting Audio

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 20 16:13:50 EDT 2013

stephen barncard wrote:
> I don't want to discourage anyone, or say 'it can't be done' (and someone
> will try to prove me wrong) but..
>
> This is something that Livecode isn't really appropriate for.
> The audio package in LC is just not up to this kind of specialized task,
> and is covered by several free or open source applications. Be aware that
> in the current engine, one can't even export an audio file to any format.
>  ( I wrote some handlers to do that entirely in Livecode, but had to
> reverse engineer the internal audio format and do all sorts of kludgey
> things. And at the end of the day, LC audio limited to 16 bit and 48k
> sample rate.

That's true for embedded audioClips, but for cases where QuickTime files
can be an option the future looks more promising:

If I recall correctly from Trevor's notes in an enhancement request some
time ago, QT provides APIs or that but LC is still using an older method
of initializing QT structures that prevents using some of the newer APIs.

I believe this will be addressed (along with a great many QT-independent
issues with media playback on Win and Linux) as part of the "Multimedia
engine" rewrite among the Kickstarter stretch goals, on the roadmap
under Queued as "Multimedia":
<http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/>

--
  Richard Gaskin