standalones and Linux...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 18 14:40:48 EDT 2013

Colin Holgate wrote:
 > I’m doing a demo tonight, and will be showing LiveCode. I wanted to
 > show how you can publish to Windows and Linux, and I can open the exe
 > in Windows 8 ok. But in Ubuntu it seems to be trying to interpret it
 > as a zip file.
 >
 > Is there something I have to do to the application before using it on
 > Linux?

Sometimes the executable bit doesn't transfer from non-Linux systems.

In most distros you can easily set the executable bit by right-clicking
the app and choosing "Info" or "Properties" (depending on the distro),
then in the dialog that opens you'll see a checkbox for something like
"Run as Application" or "Executable".

You can also do this from the command line:

$ chmod +x yourAppFile

If you choose to use the command line method you'll probably want to be
wearing an old t-shirt you got from a hard drive vendor at a conference
and have a can of Jolt next to you so you can feel sufficiently Linuxy. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World