Converting Python

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 13:15:05 EDT 2013

On 09/17/2013 07:31 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richard-
>
> Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 9:21:29 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Mark Wieder wrote:

>>> <g> I'd forgotten about that article. But bear in mind that I have it
>>> on good authority that the alternatelanguages function and the "do as"
>>> functionality will never be supported on linux...

"good authority" is a funky way of saying "the folks at RunRev cannot be
arsed to sort things out
to get that working on Linux".
>> ...until some intrepid soul dives into the code base to make it happen.
>> Got several weeks of spare time on your hands? :)
> I did it already. It ain't gonna happen. Here's the rejection notice:
>
> http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=15814#p80662

You must feel fairly "forked off" about that.

After all, even Hypercard (as in 'homo habilis') allowed one to do
things in Applescript.

The "cross-platform" mantra does get a bit much at times when it really
means "We're in
bed with Microsoft and Apple because we see Linux as somewhat marginal",
when Linux
is no longer marginal andhas a growing influence and installed base.

> Anyone who wants the code to fork their own copy of the engine with
> alternatelanguage support is welcome to it.
>
> https://github.com/mwieder/livecode/tree/linux_alternate_languages

I would be most grateful, Mark, if you could explain what "There's now a
new branch on my repository"

as my digestive juices are going into overdrive over what I think it means.

I mean, a branch line would be fun (Australopithecus, chaps?), and
certainly food for thought even if nothing else.

As far as I remember the Mac Classic WIMP interface (from which, Windows
95, GNOME, XFCE, KDE and so forth) was a 'branch' of something going on
at IBM; and Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' was a branch of somebody else's, much
inferior, play.

As to "rejection notices", perhaps Richard Gaskin (who knows his stuff
vis-a-vis Open Sauciness) can enlighten us as to who can "play God" in
the OS universe, and who cannot, and how one (such as Thee, Mark) can
get one elevated to deity status and start pushing one's own fork,
and/or a way to inject one's "rogue code" into
  Livecode (thinks, 'good virus').

It probably is about time, after all the "Hoo-Ha" from RunRev anent Open
Source, and us stumping up our crinklies, and they being totally bl**dy
slow about fulfilling their Kickstarter Goals, that some sort of pressure
was brought to bear, and . . ;. how to start forking alternate versions
was made public and easy; even if for no other reason than that RunRev
could no longer go on rejecting ideas because it didn't give somebody a
warm fuzzy, and, instead putting this sort of thing to some sort of
Community vote . . .

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but I understood one of the main goals (cough,
cough) of the Kickstarter thingybob was
to make Livecode (the language . . . err . . how many names has that had
since 'Hypertalk'?) extensible,
and that extensions would be rolled right back into Livecode, lickety-split.

However, a small voice behind me (let's call it my guardian devil) says
"Ooh, they've got their money and they'll nay mair tak tent o fowk's
wants" . . . Ouch; I do hope I'm wrong.

Richmond.