Trying a custom handler for several math fields

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 03:21:17 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM, Vaughn Clement <vclement at gmail.com> wrote:

> The current database I use is FileMaker Advanced and it is so well
> documented it is a gem to work with. By the way my expectations was to use
> LC as a database substitute with IOS and Android. I have had to reassess my
> goals based on the limits I have seen to date of LC.

I used FileMaker heavily for many years, and still do occasionally. One of
the things I tell people about both FileMaker and LC is that it's important
to know what they're good at, and where their limits are. If you want to
build a Photoshop competitor, neither FMP nor LC is a good place to start.

There is substantial overlap at a high level between FMP and LC --
multiplatform, simple scripting, etc. But:

If your app is a general database app: the user works with multiple sets of
data, slices and dices the data the way they want, needs multiple
presentations of the same data, normalized relational data structure --
then you want FileMaker and if you try to make LC live up to that standard
you will suffer.

If your app requires special-case data processing, detailed user
interaction, superior graphics display, a variety of data controls like
sliders or others, then you want LC, and if you try to do that sort of
thing in FM you will go slowly mad. If you know both it's really not a hard
call -- there isn't as much overlap as you would think. If you have a
wireframe you can share that describes the interaction you're looking for,
I can probably tell you in ten seconds whether LC or FMP is the better fit.