Okay, I think I'm brain damaged -- nope, I figured it out

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 12 14:18:49 EDT 2013

Geoff Canyon wrote:

 > ...okay, I won't bore you all with the details. The tl;dr is that
 > this:
 >     put "something" after myVariable
 >
 > is very fast, but gets slower the bigger myVariable becomes. I'm
 > slinging around 100s of MBs, and LC doesn't really like appending
 > strings to a 300mb variable...
 >
 > I have to change to read from my input line by line anyway, and
 > I'll write to my output the same way, and all the variables will
 > be much smaller then.

If the final output is going to disk, you may find that opening the
output file for append yields what I believe is the fastest write mode
(CouchDB and some others are append-only).  Perhaps buffering some of
the output and appending in batches may be optimal.

Good luck.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World