Apple Safari 6.1 issues warning

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Sat Sep 7 16:23:54 EDT 2013

(for mac desktop users)
I got a notice there was a new beta version of Safari from Apple dev, and
thought there wouldn't be a problem trying it out. Usually I will test a
new OS on an isolated drive, just in case.

"But this is just an app", I thought. I was wrong.

As soon as I tried to hit the 'enlarge' button on a YouToob video, I
realized I had screwed up by installing it.

You know that 'Full Screen' mode that some apps have now, where if one has
two monitors, the second is rendered useless and presented with a grey
textured background?

Well now this extends to the Safari browser, where if one enlarges any
video on any web page, it goes into this $#@$@%$ mode and one can't do
ANYTHING on the second monitor while the other holds the expanded movie.
DUMB-ASS UI MANIPULATION.
UIs are supposed to help people, not cut options. This is BS.

Safari 6.1 shows us what's in our Mavericks future: More controlling and
more UI changes that annoy.

I like to have the news full screen on one, and work on the other. There
have been some missing cursor issues, but I could work around that most of
the time. With 6.1, it's impossible.

Well I would have none of that, so I tried to delete the Safari 6.1 app.
Guess what? A new dialog pops up telling me that Safari is now required by
the Operating System to be there and can't be removed.

WHAT?? This is supposed to be an app, not a system component.

I looked in vain on the dev site for an uninstaller, and on a web search I
found references to one, but it didn't exist anywhere.

The only option was to re-install the entire system, on my machine, a two
hour affair.
What a PIA. Annoying.

By the way, the new nightly builds of Webkit do the same shtick.

so beware, I'd suggest NOT getting this version of Safari - at first glance
no real new feature other than Twitter integration (whatever the hell that
means), and this abdominal and irreversible bonding of the OS and the
browser .

sqb

--

Stephen Barncard