Sharing Values Between Onrev Scripts?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Sep 1 11:01:19 EDT 2013

You can't do it simply with a variable. Each http request is a separate
run of the server script, so no variable values can be carried over.
Even if they could be, you can have multiple, separate users doing this
simultaneously, so there would be no way to know which 'original
setting' should be associated with each 'subsequent submission'.

Basically, there are a few approaches.

1. Use a cookie
Not difficult (just be sure you set the cookie value before ANY other
output from the script. I do all my output through a library - I never
do any direct "put"s from an on-rev script - that way I can detect if a
"putcookie" attempt will fail because some output has already happened.)

2. Use session data. Maybe slightly preferable if there is any other
session data around, otherwise not much to choose against cookie.

3. Hidden value in the form data. (I think this or 3a is the best answer).

3a. Hidden value slightly different in the form data (e.g. correct
answer + 1)

3b hidden token in the form:  keep a file/database of taken:value pairs,
where the token is random, and the value is the required answer, put the
token into the hidden field in the form. More secure I guess -
equivalent to a cookie, but limited in 'cost' to the single response.

4. Guessing :-)
keep a file of ip addr + time + correct answer, and then match ip
address of the incoming value from the user to recent answers. Should be
OK for low-turnover sites, esp. if you make the range of possible values
large enough.

5....
I'm sure there are others I don't know about or haven't thought of right
now.

-- Alex.