"Introducing New LiveCode Licenses"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 30 14:04:02 EDT 2013

Vaughn Clement wrote:

> If you have great products like Apple, your products bring in the revenue,
> not fees placed on the developers.

In both cases the companies sell a product, and people either choose to
pay or not depending on their needs.

But unlike Apple, RunRev also gives away another edition of their
product for free.

I may be looking at this through rose-colored glasses, but I'm having a
hard time seeing a comparison between Apple and RunRev that doesn't
favor RunRev, esp. given that most of RunRev's users never pay them any
money at all, while Apple's customers pay them the highest profit
margins in the industry.

> It's clear to me that you want to attract new users to LiveCode, To do so
> you need to improve basic documentation before you start asking for fees
> for premium support.

The fees are largely for the Commercial license for those needing to
release proprietary commercial works.

But on the docs, yes, I haven't seen an xTalk yet that didn't have lots
of room for improvement.  Even HyperCard, often cited as a leading
example, was tremendously dependent on third-party for-fee books like
those from Danny Goodman to become usable.

While RunRev has made great strides with learning materials for LC, and
have plans to integrate them even more comprehensively than they've done
by making most of them accessible in the Developers link at their site
(hardly a helpful label, IMO), there's still more room for ever better
refinement.

To get a feel for what's working and what's not, how much of the manual
have you read, and how many of the tutorials included in the package
have you explored?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World