Web Site for my Students

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Oct 28 18:31:38 EDT 2013

I think the key question for me is, what exactly do you mean by

- If okay, set cookie, storing student ID

If you mean "set the cookie to be their student ID", then that's a bad
idea - it would be far too easy for someone to spoof the cookie value
and fraudulently submit it in a request. (security = terrible)

If you mean "set the cookie to a value including their student ID" - say
ID & md5hash(ID+secret_constant) - then that's "ok". Not too easy to
determine and spoof the value, though it would be the same every time.
(security = poor)

If you mean (??) "set the cookie to random value, which is stored in and
later used to look up a database(/table) of cookie : ID : name :
date+time : ...", then subsequent accesses look up that table to
determine which student ID it is from - that sounds good. Not quite so
simple, but far, far better. (security=good)

-- Alex.