finding & storing the field that *would* be next on closefield

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Oct 20 17:51:24 EDT 2013

On 10/20/13 11:25 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:

> I guess what I really need is to be able, from within closeField, to be
> able to tell *why* and *how* it got triggered?  Did a user tab out?  Did
> the card get deleted (in which case, it should store it's insertion point
> and it's successor get focus)?  Did the user click in another field?  Was
> another navigation key used to go to the next row?

I suppose you could trap all possible events but that feels like chasing
your tail to me. My gut says it would be fragile.

There's no easy way to do it the way you want. Openfield is where the
information is.

> But I want the focus to land in the "natural" place--the next field if tab,
> the field clicked if clicked, and so forth.  So I need to figure out from
> this variety of possible events where that was.

Can you do the whole redraw on openfield instead of closefield? Store
the data you need on closefield but do the rearranging on openfield. The
two messages are back to back, and if you lock the screen on closefield
there shouldn't be any visual distinction.

That would still fail if the user doesn't actually focus on another
field though. You could document that they need to hit the Enter key in
that case, and trap for that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com