[OT] Navigation systems

Mike Kerner MikeKerner at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 17 14:33:09 EDT 2013

I have found that my non-cell-enabled ipad does surprisingly well on
navigation, and I have yet to fully understand why.  After all, it
supposedly doesn't have GPS in it, and it isn't connected to cell service
so it can't be getting location from the towers, but somehow it frequently
knows where it is and gives me turn-by-turn, live.

There is a hypothesis from others that devices can pick up locations from
wireless access points as they pass them, but I am not aware of the
mechanism, since I believe that wireless access points are only supposed to
broadcast their SSID's.  Otherwise, the trick of having your device
auto-connect to multiple access points with the same SSID and password
should fail.

So try navigating more with your phone with wifi turned on.  You might be
surprised.