[OT] Navigation systems

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Oct 17 11:57:26 EDT 2013

Thanks for the pointers eveyone.  I have some reading to do!

Mike,  I never made the connection between aircraft boarding and navigation
before but you opened my eyes!  Incidentally, Southwest now have a "clump"
system layered on top of their no seat allocation rule. There are three
boarding groups (A,B,C) and within those groups, numbers from 1-60 (or more
for larger aircraft), with the group and number being assigned serially (I
think) in order of time checked in. The numbers aren't seat numbers, just
sequence numbers within the group. At boarding time, group A, numbers 1-30
go first, followed by group A numbers 31-60, and so on.

This all came about really because I'm using my Nexus 7 for navigation and
it does not have the LTE option on it so I'm not on the internet when
driving.  I found a few apps that will provide navigation when not
connected to the internet, which they do by downloading maps from an open
source mapping project.  Obvioulsy you have to get the necessary maps while
you have an internet connection but after that, the apps use the gps in
conjunction with the maps to figure out routes and navigate them.

I guess Google maps allows you to save maps and work offline but I found
that it has size restrictions that won't save maps that cover a large area.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>