OT: Time Machine Alternatives?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 16 18:25:16 EDT 2013

Mark Wieder wrote:
> I've been using Time Machine to make backups, and it seems to do that job
> well, but the backup disk ends up with cross-linked files pretty rapidly and
> I end up reformatting the backup disk and starting from scratch frequently.
> This seems to me to be missing the point of having historical backups.
>
> So I'm throwing this open to see what others are using for backups on OSX. I
> assume there's something better than Time Machine out there and I'm just not
> aware of it. Thanks in advance.

I use Time Machine, but only as a last resort.  Same with the Backup
tool bundled with Ubuntu.  Never needed to recover anything from them,
but it's comforting to know they're there.

My daily work is copied to a cloud server at the end of each day, and
and also make copies of critical work files to my 16 GB quad-channel USB
thumb drive that I keep with me at all times.

My LC plugins folder is automatically synced with the Ubuntu One cloud
service, which not only gives me an off-site backup but also keeps my
dev tools in sync across all the machines I work on (the finally
finished their Mac version earlier this year).

I also make additional backups on a large HD once a week to keep off-site.

Perhaps a bit obsessive, but long ago I suffered a hard drive failure,
and I promised myself "Never again".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World