Android SDK Path Again

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Oct 14 13:51:02 EDT 2013

On 10/13/13 5:53 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Latest issue is getting LC 6.1.1 to see an attached hardware device to
> test on.  I have a 7" tablet running Android 4.1.1, on which I have
> enabled USB debugging and USB storage.  The device is connected, OS X sees
> the device, LC does not (device doesn't show up in Test menu).  Am I
> missing a setting somewhere?

It's been a long time since I did this, but if I remember right, if it's
mounted in the OS, it isn't accessible via ADB. I could be wrong about
that. Anyway, LiveCode won't see the device unless ADB sees it so you
need to start in terminal to find out what's wrong.

First thing to try is to launch adb and *then* connect the device. Then
in terminal do this:

adb devices

If your device isn't listed, it isn't recognized. Next thing, unplug the
device, and in terminal navigate to the .android folder in your home
directory “~/.android” and delete the debug.keystore file. It may not be
required, but I usually restart terminal at this point. Then plug in the
device and see if "adb devices" shows it.

If not, your device may need a special entry in the vendors file. I had
to do this for my Archos tablet. You need to find out from the vendor if
that's necessary and what their ID is. The Archos site gave these
instructions:

Add Archos vendor ID (0x0e79) to adb_usb.ini in .android folder in your
home directory:
	◦	Windows: echo 0x0e79 >> "%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"
	◦	Macos: echo "0x0e79" >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini
	◦	Linux: echo "0x0e79" >> ~/.android/adb_usb.ini

Your vendor ID will be different but the file will be the same. If you
need to do that, restart everything again.

Once "adb devices" sees your device, LiveCode will too. The good news is
that you only need to go through this procedure once.

> BTW, is it necessary to select a debugging app on the device?  For lack of
> anything else, I chose HTML Viewer but am not sure if this would work or
> is even necessary.

No, you won't have to. You'll be doing all debugging via Terminal.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com