A Text file format for LiveCode

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Oct 7 22:06:09 EDT 2013

On 08/10/2013, at 12:02 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Monte Goulding wrote
>> Alejandro Tejada wrote:
>>> 1) Search and Replace terms in all the handlers
>>> of all stacks. Notice that many developers have published
>>> stacks to export stacks as text, but this is a one way
>>> conversion.
>> We already have that in the IDE.
>
> Only for stacks already opened.
> Anyway, as already we could export stacks as Text files,
> this is not too difficult to do.

Why would you need to do it in an unopened stack?

> Monte Goulding wrote
>>> 3) New tools for analyzing, optimizing and refactoring
>>> LiveCode scripts and stacks would use these text files
>>> instead of their binary counterparts... This would be
>>> an extraordinary advance for this platform.
>> I don't really understand where the advantage is there either.
>> Are these tools written in other languages? If so why?
>
> Actually, these tools could be written in LiveCode too.
> Maybe you, or Mark, want to create this for LiveCode
> stacks, in your incredibly shrinking free time. ;)

I'll just keep nutting away at lcVCS and hopefully one day we can have an IDE that people can contribute features such as these to.

I've been thinking a bit about whether I want to take on the lcVCSisation of the IDE but I'd need to work out a way to include IDE changes from the RunRev team. I think it could be done using a long running branch tracking their repo but RunRev not being involved could prove to be a headache... maybe they would like to get involved because their IDE repo looks like a mess to me... it seems they are making the same changes to stacks on different branches and the release-6.1.2 branch appears to be based on the 6.0.0 IDE rather than the 6.1.1 IDE.

I've probably already more than filled my quota of community contributions with the hundreds of hours I've put in on lcVCS and its related engine contributions though.

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services