A Text file format for LiveCode

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 15:43:01 EDT 2013

Hi Monte,

Monte Goulding wrote
>> Text format will be useful in many ways, but not
>> for storing or sending stacks in the web.
>
> What ways.. other than version control?

I understand that using text files to edit stacks
sounds awfully similar to the methods of Third Generation
Languages of "Editing, Compiling, Linking and Running"

How could I use stacks in text format?

1) Search and Replace terms in all the handlers
of all stacks. Notice that many developers have published
stacks to export stacks as text, but this is a one way
conversion.

2) Commenting code will be, as you pointed, easier.

3) New tools for analyzing, optimizing and refactoring
LiveCode scripts and stacks would use these text files
instead of their binary counterparts... This would be
an extraordinary advance for this platform.

There should exists more good reasons, but these are
the salient points that come to my mind in this moment.

Al