A Text file format for LiveCode

Mark Wilcox m_p_wilcox at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 10:32:22 EDT 2013

Personally I think there may be some value in having the default developer view of a stack as a set of (mostly) text files. There would then be a tool that does a lot of what lcVCS does which turns that into a binary stack format for runtime size and performance - a lot of languages "compile" things in that way.

However, note that the "Live" part of LiveCode is made faster by this almost direct manipulation of the binary that the engine interprets rather than having an intermediate step.

So, if the lcVCS route can be made to work robustly then optimising for coding rather than optimising for serialising for version control seems like a pretty good tradeoff.

Mark