How to detect swipe direction?

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Oct 6 21:58:34 EDT 2013

On 07/10/2013, at 12:23 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> I imagine you need to implement swipe detection before triggering
> scrolling, and scrolling needs to be triggered only after exceeding a
> distance threshold.  The mail app is a good example.  If you look
> carefully, scrolling doesn't begin until touch exceeds a small distance,
> so swipe to delete has a chance to operate before scrolling takes place.
>
> That's my guess anyway...

Thanks Scott. The iOS Calendar app works like that too and is exactly how I would like my app to behave. I've tried disabling the scroller as the default and then enabling it in a touchMove handler when the vertical swipe component is greater than the horizontal - but I couldn't get that to work either. I'll have another crack at it one day.

Terry...