SocketTimeOut message

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Thu Oct 3 19:01:46 EDT 2013

On Oct 3, 2013 5:40 PM, "J. Landman Gay" wrote:

> I need to understand this better. The dictionary says the
socketTimeoutInterval specifies how long to wait before sending back a
timeout message. It sounds like the timeout doesn't affect the data
transmission, it's only a warning, and the data will be sent eventually. Is
that correct?

> The dictionary also says the default interval is ten seconds, but I'm
seeing timeouts in much less time than that. Maybe the dictionary is wrong?

> What's a good timeout interval for iffy network connections?

It saddens me to say this, but LiveCode itself has always been iffy at ftp
transfers.  I've set the socketTimeoutInterval all over the spectrum, and
never found a solid solution.  On the same network, all other FTP clients
would work perfectly every time.  I finally had to build a retry routine
since we can't even resume a transfer.  We seriously need a new libUrl.

> --

~Roger