htmlText question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 1 15:29:37 EDT 2013

Mark Wieder wrote:

> ...and do note that I sent the email (as always) in straight text
> mode, the listserv software kept the text formatting, and that the
> text appears properly in the gmane archives:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user/192493
>
> So the "problem" is on your end. I see you're using Thunderbird to
> handle the list emails. You might want to configure it to view text
> instead of html in order to avoid this kind of problem in the future.

The problem is definitely on my end, but not in my trusted Thunderbird.

I'm subscribed here in digest mode, and read the archives in the browser.

So your code snippet was good, and the browser was doing what browsers
are expected to do, and I've merely encountered my second-in-ten-years
example of how my reading method for this list can be suboptimal.

And speaking of the archives, for Alejandro (and anyone else who cares):

My earlier test message at
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2013-October/193143.html> showed
the correct result:  mbox separates messages by having each message
begin with "From " as the first five characters on that line.  This
means that any message content that begins a line with "From " would
risk breaking parsers, but it seems this list honors the recommended
approach of adding a space character before any such line to avoid
parser confusion (the "From " in the message body there was written
flush-left, apparently altered by the list software).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World