Signing strangeness (was "Sporadic "answer file ... as sheet")

John john at onechip.com
Sat Nov 30 02:34:28 EST 2013

   I found something (that I don’t understand) that others might find helpful.  In a previous thread (Sporadic "answer file ... as sheet”) I was describing some very odd behavior that affected the presentation (and function) of the dialog that appears when using “ask file” if the app was built under 10.9 and tested under 10.8.5. Looking further at the built apps behavior, I noticed some other things that were not quite right.

   I now use App Wrapper to sign my apps (it takes the hassle out of it).  My app, signed by app wrapper, works as expected (that is to say, as it does in the LC IDE) when the app is moved from 10.9 to 10.8.5.  Using the LC built, unsigned app, does not.  Running both the signed and unsigned apps does not cause the test computer to throw any errors or caution dialogs.  The signed and unsigned apps simply work differently.  I have no idea why.  During beta testing, on a number of different computers, this didn’t seem to be an issue.

Thanks,
John