Answer File on Mac OS X

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Wed Nov 27 23:34:58 EST 2013

Hi Marty. Thanks for the reply.

Actually I just solved my own problem (again) by downloading and installing Quick Change, a utility that shows the actual 4 character file type. (works in Mavericks) For PDF’s it’s “PDF “ (note the SPACE AFTER PDF). If I use that with the “of type” form, it works a peach. There is no way I know of, besides some obscure terminal command which I am sure exists, to get the file TYPE of a document in OS X.

It ought to be something you can see in the Get Info dialog, but alas, these days we are at the mercy of our system developer gurus, they being really, REALLY smart IT guys right out of college, who nonetheless have no real world experience in the every day problems we face. Thankfully, the geniuses of years heretofore seem to have the solutions we crave, if we would but GOOGLE long and hard enough. ;-)

Bob Sneidar
IT Technician
Integrated Office Technology
bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com<mailto:bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com>