Android 'soft' button bars

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Tue Nov 19 15:30:37 EST 2013

Some Android tablets (and for all I know, some Android phones) don't have
standard home/menu/return buttons as physical buttons, but instead impose a
soft version of them in a bar at the bottom of the screen (separate from the
usual status bar at the top of the screen with clock, wifi, battery etc).

On some (eg original Kindle Fire) this is a separate bar at the bottom of the
screen, but it hides and shows with the status bar, so we can use
mobileHideStatusBar/mobileShowStatusBar to control it.

On others it doesn't. E.g. Samsung 7" tablet, and another I've seen, the 'soft
buttons' bar is combined with the clock/wifi/settings etc status bar (I think
this might be an Android 4.x thing) - and mobileHideStatusBar has no effect.

You don't get to hide the bar altogether, presumably because a rogue app could
then effectively block a device; but there is a 'full screen' mode in which
it's reduced to a minimum (on Kindle Fire, it shrinks and leaves just a
disclosure triangle to reopen; on the Android 4.x devices I've seen, it fades
to just a black bar with a few grey dots on it).  I've seen this in system
apps (photo slideshow, video player) but also in some non-system apps.  Is
there a way to access this mode in LC?

TIA,

Ben