What does "stack was produced by a newer version" mean?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Nov 18 12:45:49 EST 2013

Answering my own question (to some extent), I now see that I did create the issue myself, by somehow messing up the "copy files" list in my standalone settings, so that the reference to the original template stack didn't work. In fact I tried to copy a non-existent file, and then rename it. Interestingly this did in fact produce a file - a useless one, but still a file.

Although I am entirely to blame for the error, it's interesting that using the 'put URL' form to do the copy, it is not obvious how to detect errors: in the old-fashioned way of handling files, one can hope to see an error in 'the result'. The current LC documentation doesn't suggest **any** way of detecting errors in URL-type file operations, but I guess there must be one or more.

My comment about conflicting error messages when I tried to open an inappropriate file still stands though: my guess now is that the "stack corrupted" is closest to correct, since the created file probably wasn't a stack file at all, apart from the extension.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

Graham