Livecode Server on a Mac running OSX 10.9

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Wed Nov 13 12:58:39 EST 2013

I struggled with this for quite some time also.

Remove the Server OS X from Apple that you can download from the AppStore and grab a copy of MAMP. It’s free, download it.

MAMP goes into your applications folder.

in the cgi-bin folder (inside the MAMP folder in Applications) create a folder named “livecode-cgi”

inside that folder put the contents of the livecode community server.

MAMP
	cgi-bin
		livecode-cgi
			drivers
			externals
			livecode-community-server

in htdocs put your test.lc script, the Hello World thing. Something brain dead simple for testing

MAMP
	htdocs
		test.lc

in the httpd.conf file

MAMP
	conf
		apache
			httpd.conf

do the following. replace the section of commands that starts and ends with

<Directory "/Applications/MAMP/htdocs”>
    …
</Directory>

add in the
ScriptAlias
command

and add in another command for
<Directory "/Applications/MAMP/cgi-bin/livecode-cgi/“>

in my httpd file it looks like this:

************ below here is what I swapped in ***********
<Directory "/Applications/MAMP/htdocs">
    #
    # Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
    # or any combination of:
    #   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews
    #
    # Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
    # doesn't give it to you.
    #
    # The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
    # http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options
    # for more information.
    #
    #Options All    ### kee 2013-11-11 replaced with next line:
	Options Indexes Multiviews

    #
    # AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.
    # It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
    #   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    #
    #AllowOverride All	### kee 2013-11-11 replaced with next line:
	AllowOverride None

    #
    #
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

	### kee 2013-11-11 added the following:
	AddHandler livecode-script .lc
	Action livecode-script /livecode-cgi/livecode-community-server
	### kee 2013-11-11 added the above
</Directory>

### kee 2013-11-11 added because it is needed
ScriptAlias /livecode-cgi/livecode-community-server /Applications/MAMP/cgi-bin/livecode-cgi/livecode-community-server

### kee 2013-11-11 added the following:
<Directory "/Applications/MAMP/cgi-bin/livecode-cgi/">
	Options ExecCGI
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
</Directory>
### kee 2013-11-11 added the above
*************** above here is what I swapped in ***********

Then because I have no clue what I’m doing, for all the files I added into the MAMP folder, in terminal I would paste

chmod a+x
and then drag the file or folder to the terminal so it would enter the correct path for it, and press enter to make sure permissions were set correctly.

rinse and repeat for every file and folder you’ve added to the MAMP installation (some apache Unix guru can probably correct this and point out exactly which files do and don’t need the permissions change but this worked for me).

The URL to hit it was

http://localhost:8888/test.lc

and it worked great.

Seriously the Apple Server OS X bundle of stuff was just so convoluted. MAMP is pared down to the essentials and it is just a web server and everything is in the MAMP folder.

Good luck,
Kee Nethery