Algorithm for Direction Change upon Collision

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.org
Sat Nov 9 12:18:03 EST 2013

Hi Scott,

Although I'd agree with your advice in general, I'd caution against
making point 2 too strongly. I fully agree about
    "Don't underestimate the speed of text lists ..."
but not with
    "... avoid using arrays in code that is repeated in a loop"

I re-wrote your code using an array rather than a text list, and there
was no discernible difference in speed. Even moving up to 200 particles,
I was consistently getting the same timings for each of the two methods
(they both varied between 48 and 54 ms per cycle, on a MacBook Pro).

The speed of your code came from careful use of loopObject and
innerObject (and your other points) - not from discarding the use of arrays.

btw   You have a minor bug - in the inner loop, the first line should be
     if item 1 of loopObject then
rather than
     if item  of collisionlist then

-- Alex.