start ssh session on mac

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 10:22:48 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Jose Damaso <rjd318 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi - is there a way to start a ssh terminal session on the Mac? I can
> launch the terminal.app but was hoping to be able to pass the user and
> server (perhaps even the password) to that terminal also. Security concerns
> aside of course =)

a quick google found that for 10.6 and later, yes.  And note the last
comment . . .

from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1308755/launch-an-app-on-os-x-with-command-line

As was mentioned
here<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1569976/osx-launching-multiple-instances-of-an-app-and-passing-them-command-line-args>,
the 'open' command in 10.6 now has an 'args' flag, so you can call:

open -n ./AppName.app --args -AppCommandLineArg
  share <http://stackoverflow.com/a/1583766>|improve this
answer<http://stackoverflow.com/posts/1583766/edit>
  answered Oct 18 '09 at 1:48<http://stackoverflow.com/posts/1583766/revisions>

    community wiki

 John McDonnell <http://stackoverflow.com/posts/1583766/revisions>

   up vote 9 down vote

An application bundle (a .app file) is actually a bunch of directories.
Instead of using 'open' and the .app name, you can actually move in to it
and start the actual binary. For instance:

$ cd /Applications/LittleSnapper.app/
$ ls
Contents
$ cd Contents/MacOS/
$ ./LittleSnapper

That is the actual binary that might accept arguments (or not, in
LittleSnapper's case).
  share <http://stackoverflow.com/a/1308784>|improve this
answer<http://stackoverflow.com/posts/1308784/edit>
  answered Aug 20 '09 at 21:01
  MathieuK <http://stackoverflow.com/users/100809/mathieuk>
2,6451024

     1
The binary accepts arguments, I am sure. I wrote it. Invoking 'open'
doesn't allow passing arguments. I am pretty sure about this. And yes, my
script is calling 'open binary' directly, not trying to open the bundle. –
psychotik <http://stackoverflow.com/users/106095/psychotik> Aug 20 '09 at
21:05

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.