text sortType

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue May 28 16:04:59 EDT 2013

Whoops, I didn't read Peter's solution all the way.

I guessed at what he was doing instead of giving it the attention it deserved.

I guess my thumbs up was for using the sorting value function and for putting in zero digits.

I would (off the top of my head) simplify (and change) that to this:

function reformatLine pL
  get item 1 of it
  return (word 1 to -2 of it) && char -6 to -1 of ("000000" & word -1 of it)
end reformatLine

By adding leading zeros for a fixed length, a text sort is the same as a number sort.

A 3rd solution is to put fixed length numerals in the last word of the original data.

(I could try using the *s as an excuse, but it is not a good excuse, sorry for commenting after only a glance.)

Dar