curlyquotes, character sets, livecode, and english

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Mon May 27 13:37:45 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> On May 27, 2013, at 8:24 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> > That brings back the two word character problem, and then some . . .
>
> It reminds me of packing file names in CPM.

7 Characters to the 36 bit word on a PDP-10.

> Back to you problem.  Is that solved?

Merely hacked for the moment--but in an untenable way.

> I would be inclined to use the unicodeText property put take text out of a field and to set it.
>Then, use uniEncode and uniDecode to convert that to and from UTF8.  That's assuming
>UTF8 is right for your db and other needs.

Can that figure out where something "came from"?  Or am I still stuck
with "not an idiot at the keyboard?"

My prospective issue is cutting & pasting from anything that showed up
on the user screen.

I think I'm safe to assume that anything typed in from the present
machine can be used.

I have to deal with, though, someone typing on windows and then
pulling it out on a Mac or iPad (or linux, or android . . .), and vice
versa.

Can I simply set livecode to be UTF8 in its fields?  Or do I need to
double encode/decode on every save of text?

I'd like to stay with just UTF8, if possible, since I can't stay at 7
bit ascii and write "Peña" . . . but I need to have it appear the same
on all systems.

Turning UTF8 to pdf will probably give me better results than an
operating-system set, too.

> However, there have "recently" been some enhancements that might make some other
>methods better.  Others, would probably have a better notion than I on using those.

> However, it might be possible to set up both apps and the db to use some other character
>set, say, Mac OS Roman.

That's going to bite me on Windows, though, I think . .

Thanks

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462