thinking through parsing multi-line database commands with cr in the data

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sun May 26 12:33:44 EDT 2013

I'd be inclined to have a handler to execute/buffer the SQL statements
based on what type of db is in use.

For example you could have a handler dbCommand which took SQL statements as
a parameter.  If the DB is SQLite, the handler would execute the statement
immediately.  If some other version of SQL, it would buffer up the
statement in a global or script local.  You could use the BEGIN statement
to clear the buffer and the COMMIT statement to signify that the block of
statements was complete and should be executed.

As far as the issue of cr's in data, that's a problem whether you're
buffering commands or not.  I long since switched over to using the
"variableslist" option of the various rev database commands, usually with
an array rather than a variable, since it completely avoids the problem of
cr's, escaping quotes, etc.  And it protects against SQL injection which
would seem to be an important issue for you since you're handling sensitive
information over the internet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>