Random sort demonstration

Jerry Jensen jhj at jhj.com
Thu May 23 20:56:11 EDT 2013

I disagree with Jerry here. Using random(20) for sorting would give a different order with "numeric" vs. without, all else being equal, but it would still be just as random. Just because most of the random(20) results start with the character "1" doesn't mean they aren't unique or that they are more likely.

So using "numeric" is different but just as bad. A big number is still the best idea, if not so pretty.

How about if random() with no parameter returned an integer between 1 and the maximum integer? It might be different on different platforms, but still the best that can be done.

.Jerry