randomly order a list

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu May 23 18:31:59 EDT 2013

I did a math.

The probability of the first element not moving for a k item list named myList that is sorted by

   sort items of myList by random( the number of items of myList )

is p(k) where

p(k) = sum with i from 1 to k of 1/k  *  ( i/k ) ^ (k-1)

That power increasing with k tends to make numbers less than one smaller, but 1 stays the same, so p(k) approaches 1/k as k goes up since (k+1-i)/k is 1 for only i=1.

This essentially looks at the probability of the first element not moving for each case of its assignment by random (the sum) and each of those depends on the rest of the assignments being the same or higher.

That seems to work for 1, 2 and 3.

(This hasn't been blessed by Geoff yet, so don't file this as True, yet.)

Dar