Random sort demonstration

Jacques Hausser jacques.hausser at unil.ch
Thu May 23 03:41:48 EDT 2013

Thanks, Dar, now I understand !

Till yesterday evening, I always used the numeric result of random(tUpperlimit) to "de-sort" chunks of text, being not aware of the use of function's combination like "sort lines of […] random(xxx)".
… and at least my scripts worked exactly as I expected !

IMHO, the two uses of "random" arequite different and should be clearly distinguished in the language.

"put random(tUpperLimit) into tRanVar" -- OK, this is standard

and something like

"scramble lines of myVar", instead of "sort lines of myVar random(xxx)". Could be a command using the same function behind the scene, with the max integer as parameter to avoid prevalence of "the first" in the case of repetitions. And it is semantically clearer than "sort random".

Meanwhile, it should be useful to put an user note in the dictionary clarifying the process. A vous l'honneur !

Jacques