[OT] Playing silly bu**ers with FileZilla.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri May 17 13:21:23 EDT 2013

On 05/17/2013 08:11 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 11:54 AM, Richmond wrote:
>> Hey-Ho You Happy Linux Mages,
>>
>> I have been merrily connecting to my FTP/Web-page site (a subset of
>> Andre Garzia's site, God Bless him) using
>> a Macintosh FTP client for about 3-4 years (Cyberduck) which set things
>> up "licketty-split" [for those of you
>> who don't know that is a technical term] . . .
>>
>> . . . all jolly well and good, until I want to do the same from Linux
>> . . .
>>
>> Now 'FileZilla' gets all "hot and sweaty" [see earlier remark about
>> technical terms] and tells me all sorts of funny
>> things about Firewalls and a mismatch with my external IP address . . .
>>
>> . . .  why this is, I just don't know as I have been happily using
>> Cyberduck inside Mac OS 10.6 inside VMware Player 5.0.2
>> on Linux without all this cafuffle . . .
>>
>> Anyway, FileZilla won't play . . . unless, as usual, I am missing
>> something.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

> I can't know what's causing your problem, but I have never had any
> trouble getting FileZilla to work here under Linux. Did you try
> running the network wizard? You'll find it under the "Edit" menu.
> Maybe enabling passive will help.

I tried that, and had no joy.

I got this message:

IP 192.168.X.X bjc-bgi-X-X
Response: 510 Mismatch. Your IP is 87.97.X.X, ih-jh-X-X
Wrong external IP address
Connection closed

[where 'X' represents a number]

anyway, I shall now try to set the thing up with the IP it says is mine
. . .

What I don't understand is why Cyberduck was moronically easy, just
asking for the details of the account on the FTP server
and doing all the rest by itself; while FileZilla is being too clever by
half.