iOS - no sound through speakers

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Fri May 17 10:46:47 EDT 2013

If sound plays through the headphones it should also play through the external speaker(s). Check to make sure you don't have the volume muted. If you're on an iPad, the side switch can be toggled to either mute sound or lock rotation. Check the Settings app to see which one is set. One quick way to check (iPad only) is to double click the Home button to pull up the multitasking bar, then swipe right to see volume and playback controls. If the side switch is set for lock rotation, then you'll see a mute button on the left. If it's set for Mute, then you'll see a lock rotation button instead. If you're on an iPhone/iPod Touch, honestly I'm not really sure what the problem would be if the volume is not muted. Hardware issue perhaps?

Anyway, I've seen many people confused as to why they're not getting sound from the external speakers, and this is usually why. It's easy to have the sound muted and not even know it, especially because sound will usually play through headphones even if the external speakers are muted.

HTH,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield