[AN] iOS to Android issues...

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 15 06:52:50 EDT 2013

On 5/13/13 3:48 PM, Paul Maguire wrote:

> 1)	The graphics are missing. All my graphics are linked to from an
> included folder I have next to the main app. I have included them in
> the Standalone Application Settings (I also have a couple of fonts).
> All this works nicely when creating the bundle for iOS. But they just
> don't appear in Android - ulp. I take it I'm missing something here -
> do I need to import (embed) all the assets? That would be very
> annoying if so because I want to keep the codebase unified. I have
> done basic Android tests before and I embedded the media and it was
> fine. Is there any way to not to have to embed my media in Android?

You shouldn't have to embed the images. If they aren't showing the
problem is almost always in the file path reference. How are you
referencing the images on disk?

> 2)	I use 'put's to the console in OSX for help in debugging in iOS. I
> can't see any appearing when I run the Android emulator. Is there an
> Android SDK console window somewhere where I can see my puts?

For Android, use Terminal and (optionally) run the logcat command. Here
is an excerpt from my notes from the last RevLive conference:

Debugging on Android:

Use "put" without a destination to send output to stndout. View the
results in Console (iOS) or terminal (Android.)

Android debugging in terminal (for either emulator instance or attached
device):
<http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/tools/adb.html>

Android debug command:
<path to android sdk>/platform-tools/adb logcat > <optional path to log
file>

Where <path to android sdk> is the folder in which you installed the
Android SDK. The <path to log file> is just a path to where you want a
log file to be written, e.g. on the desktop. If you don't provide a file
path, the output will just display in the Terminal window.

Alternately you can add the adb folder to $PATH:
		export PATH=${PATH}:<path to platform-tools; drag folder here>

	Check that adb can run:
		adb --help  #gives help output

Filtering output:
	Turn on logcat with stdout and stderr filters to reduce unnecessary
output lines (there's lots of extra junk logged.) The format for filters
is [tag]:[priority]. For example,  "I" means "info":
		adb logcat stdout:I stderr:I

LiveCode messages:
Two libraries are loaded: revandroid and livecode. We only want to track
those two. "D" means "debug" and "S" is "silent":

	adb logcat revandroid:D LiveCode:I *:S

which means: report debug data from revandroid, report any info from
livecode, and everything else is silent.

To stop logcat, type Control-C

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com