Rethinking rsa encryption of license keys

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue May 14 20:43:02 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM, kee nethery <kee at kagi.com> wrote:

> There is nothing insecure about a symmetrical key. The insecurity with a
> symmetrical key is that both people have to know it and getting it from
> person A to person B safe and secure is difficult. The public private key
> pair handles the transport of the symmetrical key.

Is there any particular advantage or disadvantage of using symmetrical
rather than the extra RSA pair, or is this simply the way things are
usually done?

Or is symmetrical less expensive computationally?

And whyle I'm asking such things, is one of the ciphers on livecode's list
symmetrical?

If you use a heck-a-long key for the symmetrical stuff, it will be secure
> (assuming the symmetrical algorithm is secure).

I've been assuming 4k bits for payloads of a few hundred bites.

thanks again

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462