[Topic][Dumbfounded] Is there a way to resize and move a group without touching the inside objects

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Fri May 10 16:23:12 EDT 2013

Hi Scott,

I tried to simplify this and make it so that each control is adjusted in
one step. This also optionally take different scaling factors for
horizontal and vertical. Let me know if I missed anything. I'm not sure
what everyone was seeing with resizing the group affecting the objects in
it -- I'm not seeing that as far as I can tell.

All the implementations shown so far are losing fidelity due to rounding.
If anyone is going to repeatedly resize groups/objects like this, it would
make sense to store the original rects as a separate property, and always
start from there. If the resizing needs to be cumulative, then I'd store
the cumulative resizing factor as a property of the group, then when
resizing multiply that by the new/additional factor before applying that to
the stored rects to set the sizes.

Once we have open language, I'm so looking forward to being able to say
something like:

    set the rect of every control of G to
integerRect(shiftRect(scaleRect(shiftRect((the rect of it),-L,-T),H,V),L,T))

gc

command scaleGroup G,H,V
   if V is empty then put H into V
   put the left of G into L
   put the top of G into T
   put shiftRect(scaleRect(shiftRect((the rect of G),-L,-T),H,V),L,T) into R
   repeat with N = 1 to number of controls of G
      set the rect of control N of G to
integerRect(shiftRect(scaleRect(shiftRect((the rect of control N of
G),-L,-T),H,V),L,T))
   end repeat
   set the margins of G to scaleRect((the margins of G),H,V)
   set the rect of G to R
end scaleGroup

function scaleRect R,H,V
   if V is empty then put H into V
   return (H * item 1 of R),(V * item 2 of R),(H * item 3 of R),(V * item 4
of R)
end scaleRect

function shiftRect R,H,V
   if V is empty then put H into V
   return (H + item 1 of R),(V + item 2 of R),(H + item 3 of R),(V + item 4
of R)
end shiftRect

function integerRect R
   return round(item 1 of R),round(item 2 of R),round(item 3 of
R),round(item 4 of R)
end integerRect