[Topic][Dumbfounded] Is there a way to resize and move a group without touching the inside objects

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu May 9 16:24:25 EDT 2013

[ tags on posts are starting to get scary ]

Hi Tom:

Here's some group scaling code I've been meaning to post for a while now.
All it does is scale objects proportionally to a (locked) parent group. If
objects extend beyond the boundaries of the group, their positions and
sizes should stay intact.  The script does NOT scale all the objects'
properties (that's another script that will come later).  Maybe you can
make use of this.

command scaleGroup pGroup, pScale
   put rect of pGroup into theGroupRect
   put width of pGroup into W
   put height of pGroup into H
   set boundingRect of pGroup to rect of pGroup
   repeat with N = 1 to number of controls of pGroup
      put long id of control  N of pGroup into theControl
      put rect of theControl into theRect
      put item 1 of theRect - item 1 of theGroupRect into L
      put item 2 of theRect - item 2 of theGroupRect into T
      put item 1 of theRect + round(width of theControl * pScale) into
item 3 of theRect
      put item 2 of theRect + round(height of theControl * pScale) into
item 4 of theRect
      set rect of theControl to theRect
      set topLeft of theControl to \
            item 1 of theGroupRect + round(L * pScale),item 2 of
theGroupRect + round(T * pScale)
   end repeat
   put margins of pGroup into theMargins
   repeat with N = 1 to number of items of theMargins
      put round (item N of theMargins * pScale) into item N of theMargins
   end repeat
   set margins of pGroup to theMargins
   set boundingRect of pGroup to empty
   set rect of pGroup to \
         item 1 of theGroupRect,item 2 of theGroupRect,item 1 of
theGroupRect + round(W * pScale),item 2 of theGroupRect + round(H * pScale)
end scaleGroup

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director