[OFF] The Competition

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Wed May 8 15:27:53 EDT 2013

> If any of you have been keeping track of the competition,
> RealBasic is about to change names, licensing schemes, and
> will have their version of iOS app building available in December.
>
> There is no word on Android.
>
> They are also changing their name.
>

> So by my math, they are about 3 years behind as of today.  Of
> course, if they have all-native controls then they are ahead
> on that front, as they are on Cocoa support.

They've been working on Cocoa support for years now. Its great they are
delivering on it. They have a rather peculiar release cycle and I am going
to be interested to see if that changes.

Licensing/pricing are linked and they divide up various functions.

I can understand why the change of name - they changed from REALbasic to
Real Studio, now to Xojo. REALbasic was at least descriptive. Naming of Xojo
vs LiveCode I guess is a matter of opinion (and I do like Xojo as a name)
but I like the fact that LiveCode tells you a bit more.

Honestly, I think there is less and less competition here, now that LiveCode
is open sourced and has mobile solutions right now. The customer base is
quite different from what I can tell, just like it always has.

There are Valentina versions for REAL Studio and, if the road isn't bumpy we
will support Xojo too. Runtime's support of the LiveCode 3rd party add-on
community is absolutely fabulous, so you know we are here to stay.

You want to talk about competition? What about Director (cue sound of
crickets...)? ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President