Comment about "do" (was clickLine/clickcharchunk)

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Wed May 8 09:12:53 EDT 2013

Thierry.

I am not sure what you mean. My two scripts were intended to be examples of how LC evaluates different types of elements within its own structure.

You can:

put foo into the clickLine --and insert foo into a line in a field

You cannot:

get the clickLine

put whatever into it  -- and expect that foo will be inserted into a line in a field

The foo will go into the variable it, not into the evaluated contents of it, which is a string containing a "valid" clickLine reference.

So you have to use a "do" construction.

I was making the point that LC (and HC before it) were so forgiving of syntax that if you could mentally parse a string into a valid LC statement, the engine ought to "read your mind" as Jacque said. That mental parsing is a stretch for the engine, though, and I understand why.

Craig