Comment about "do" (was clickLine/clickcharchunk)

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:45:36 EDT 2013

All this makes some sort of sense if you pay attention to the "parts of speech" aspect in the LC dictionary entries. "The foundfield" is a function, and so it's not surprising that the parser objects to something like "put random(99) into the foundfield." If you look at the entry for "the selection" it's listed as a keyword, and there is a specific note that although it's implemented internally as a function it can be used as a referenced container.The engine appears to handle "the selection" quite differently, performing an extra evaluation when the term is used as a noun (the object of the preposition "into"). I wonder why Scott Raney made this exception? But it's quite useful.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig