Beginners questions subject headers

Peter M. Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:33:34 EDT 2013

On May 7, 2013, at 10:39 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Comcast thinks my name is Landmangay. It's amusing to hear their telemarketers try to pronounce it. The reason it's that way in the database is because they can't put a space into the last_name field and they only get two fields.

Another example of brain-dead software design. In our new electronic medical record, hyphens weren't allowed in last names until just recently -- I guess someone on the IT side is finally paying attention to the real world. Whenever I see this sort of thing I get steamed up, maybe partly because in LC is just so damned easy to make stuff work properly if you get it wrong the first time. I guess it's harder if you have to do a complete database revision to fix a simple problem.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig