Comment about "do" (was clickLine/clickcharchunk)

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Tue May 7 20:06:53 EDT 2013

Jacque.

Hi.

We have been so spoiled that we (I?) mentally parse and evaluate the second line in:

get the clickLine
put random(99) into it

as:

put random(99) into line 3 of fld 4 -- or whatever. Simple, no?

But you know this will not compute.

Danny Goodman once said that he was unsure where the disconnect took place. He just said (paraphrased) "...when it seems like the code ought to work, but doesn't, try a "do" construction..."

He simply meant that sometimes an extra level of evaluation was required for the parser to process the code in the way the user desired. And this is from HC v.1x.

When I first started with LC, one of the first things I tried was to see if something like the first construction above processed  "like it should". I think I tested "the foundField". I was astonished that it did not. Is there is something deeply ingrained in the way this type (all types?) of parsers work that it can not do this?