Comment about "do" (was clickLine/clickcharchunk)

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Tue May 7 18:18:09 EDT 2013

Peter.

"...Feels like value could be a way round using do statements in some circumstances."

True. But there are times when "do" is unavoidable, and also times when it is invaluable. I use "do" in cases where an object or variable reference had been "distanced" in some way from its initial appearance. For example, in a locked field with some lines of text in it:

on mouseup
   put random(99) & return  into the clickLine --Works fine. Direct, immediate use of the function
end mouseup

on mouseup
   get the clickLine  --puts some "distance" between the clickLine as a function and as a string in a variable.

   --  put random(99) into it  --does not work, though it seems like it should
   do "put" && random(99) &&  "into" &&  it  --works
end mouseup

There are all kinds of reasons why one would want to put such a function somewhere, and use it later.

This all started in 1987, with such functions as "the foundLine". "Do" has a bad rep. It does not deserve it.

Craig