Finding orphaned "put"

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon May 6 19:27:22 EDT 2013

I can't quite seem to figure out how that works. (With both 5.5.3 and
6.0, I get the following ....)

If I set revMessageBoxRedirect to the long ID of a field, then the
contents of the field get updated as though it had been the message box;
i.e. the field is updated, but there is no "msgChanged" message sent.
(Not received by a handler in the field, and not shown by Development /
Watch Messages).

If I set revMessageBoxRedirect to the long ID of a button then the
button does receive "msgChanged" messages - but there are no parameters
passed.

Maybe I'm missing something - but the code I'm testing with is pretty simple

(in my Button script)
on mouseUp
    if revMessageBoxRedirect is empty then
       set revMessageBoxRedirect to the long ID of me
    else
       set revMessageBoxRedirect to empty
    end if
end mouseUp

on msgChanged p
    put "got" && paramcount() && p &CR after field "F"
end msgChanged

(or change "long ID of me" to "long ID of field "F"" to test the other
case).

-- Alex.