[ANN] Book. Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sat May 4 13:10:42 EDT 2013

Hi,

Thank you, everyone, for the nice on- and off-list wishes. I feel really
supported and am happy with the great, welcoming response.

I sent the book to the printing company three days ago and am now
waiting for delivery. We expect to have the books in the office between
10 and 14 May. We'll start shipping the books as soon as they arrive. I
will also try to ship books to the conference in Scotland, but it is
going to be extremely tight.

Now that the book is ready, I can tell you a little about the last
changes I made. I removed the table of MySQL  field types in the
appendix, because  that isn't really the subject of the book. Instead, I
added a much longer table with all specialfolderpath codes available on
Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 (Classic). A table for Windows was included
already. I thought these tables would be more useful. I might post the
MySQL table on the website of the book later. The website hasn't been
set up yet, but will include a place to discuss the book with other
readers and I might give an explanation occasionally.

There have been many questions about an ebook edition. There are no
plans to publish an ebook. We decided that DRM systems are insufficient.
We don't want people to get the book for free, because that would mean
there won't be a second edition, not to mention a completely new book.
Please, don't ask for an ebook anymore. For the same reason, the book
won't be released under a free license.

If you would like to make suggestions (perhaps for a second edition),
please be specific. For example, if you propose a screenshot, tell me on
which page, accompanying which lines, why you think it is a good idea,
what it would explain, and what you would delete to make space for the
screenshot. I'm getting too many well-meant but useless suggestions.

I can now also announce the ISBN of the book: 978-90-820741-0-9. With
this number, anyone is able to order the book at a book shop, but it is
much quicker and possibly cheaper to order it directly from
Economy-x-Talk's website. More trivia: the final version of the book has
248 pages, three prefaces, a table of contents of 6 pages and an
alphabetical index of 9 pages. There are 17 pictures and 15 tables, some
tiny and some big. I really had to squeeze in all the info, because the
book wasn't supposed to count more than 240 pages (you get 8 pages for
free).

Sales are going very well. The printing costs have been earned back
already, but a few other things like envelopes and stamps and the ink I
used to print my drafts still have to be paid for. Therefore, if you
know someone who considers taking up programming either as a
professional or for a hobby, tell him or her about my book. We'll need
to sell quite a few more copies to make it worth the effort. Obviously,
I'm never going to be compensated for my time, but that wasn't the point
anyway.

I'll let you know when I have more news.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com