Mobile (Android) orientations

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri May 3 18:26:19 EDT 2013

On 03/05/2013 13:40, Monte Goulding wrote:
> On 03/05/2013, at 10:25 PM, Guglielmo Braguglia <guglielmo at braguglia.ch> wrote:
>
>> - KFOT = Kindle Fire
>> - KFTT = Kindle Fire HD 7"
>> - WFJWI = Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Wi-Fi
>> - WFJWA = Kindle Fire HD 8.9" WAN
> I haven't done much LC android work.. only Java. The file format seems poorly documented. Can I have a file like this:
>
> device=Amazon|KFOT|||
> device=Amazon|KFTT|||
> device=Amazon|WFJWI|||
> device=Amazon|WFJWA|||
> orientation_map=0,90
>
> Or do I need an orientation_map line for each device line? Like I said before I really think a single community managed file for this would save some headaches... it could be dropped into either the IDE or engine repo... probably engine seeing as it's accepting pull requests.

Do you need to ?  Wouldn't it be enough to do
device=Amazon||||
orientation_map=0,90

Or are there other Amazon devices which don't have that same orientation ?

And more fundamentally - isn't this a broken model to start with ?
Any Android app which tries to use orientation needs to contain (built
into its apk file) info about any possible (non-standard) device ?
So if a new non-standard device is released, you need to build/release a
new version of the app, or else the app will misbehave on this new device ?

(And yes, this would be a great opportunity for a community managed
file, if that reduces the explosion of releases needed as the app author
finds out about each new device.)

Call me "Confused of Edinburgh",
-- Alex.