Mobile (Android) orientations

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu May 2 18:59:44 EDT 2013

I'm just starting to play with Mobile builds - so this could be the
first of a series of dumb questions :-)

I build a stack (one button, one field, no script at all), and build for
Android (following the instructions from Colin's book).
The "Initial orientation" is set to "portrait".
I can't get any Virtual Devices to run - but I can download and test on
my Kindle Fire.

  - builds, loads and runs (i.e. does nothing :-) OK
Rotating the device does nothing (i.e. the button/field) remain fixed
relative to the device, and hence they also become sideways /
upside-down / sideways again / OK again.

If I then add
on preopencard
    mobileSetAllowedOrientations "portrait,portrait upside
down,landscape left,landscape right"
end preopencard

to the card script, then rotating the device causes the button/field to
re-orient themselves relative to the device, i.e. so that they are in
constant "proper" orientation. BUT - in landscape mode, the button/field
are upside down ! They're OK (i.e. right way up) in portrait and
"portrait upside down" states, but in landscape the controls (and the
status bar which shows the Kindle name + time + wifi/battery status) are
upside down.

What should I do ?
Could someone donate a working, multi-orientation stack so I can test it
(just in case it's something about Kindle Fire, or even some specific
fault with my particular Kindle Fire device) ?

Thanks for any suggestions ...
-- Alex.