Password protection in non-commercial 6.0.1

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu May 2 00:37:12 EDT 2013

On 5/1/13 6:24 PM, Timothy Miller wrote:
> On May 1, 2013, at 3:14 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> They've been pretty up-front about the omission of the security
>> module, it was in the Kickstarter materials. Security can't be in
>> the community version. If it was, it would be worthless; anyone
>> could read the algorithm and use it to unlock protected stacks made
>> with the commercial version. Code protection would be broken
>> everywhere.
>
> I don't completely understand that. Apparently, the general idea is
> that it couldn't be helped and LiveCode is not turning its back on
> me.

Let's say you move into a condo where the rent is free, on the one
condition that you give a copy of your house key to everyone in the
building. What good would it do to lock your door?

If LiveCode released the source code to their password protection,
everyone would have the key to unlock any stack. So that's the one piece
they aren't giving away, to protect developers.

Now, without that unlocking piece in the code, the free LiveCode can't
unlock stacks either. That's why you had trouble in 6.0; there's no
mechanism in there to work with passwords. You had to remove the
password in 5.5 first.

> Not being a computer professional, I didn't read every line of the
> Kickstarter materials.
>
> Any other gotchas in the non-commercial version?

Nope, that's the one single thing, at least until you plan to submit an
app to Apple. :)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com